Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Join me on 11/8 for the 12-hr. Run for Rainbow

A few months ago I realized that running can no longer be just about me. If I want to make even a small difference in the world—who doesn’t?—surely there’s a way I can contribute to the common good through my love of running.

On Saturday, Nov. 8, I am holding a 12-hour charity run for Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital of University Hospitals to support its commitment to caring for babies and children regardless of a family’s ability to pay. It is vitally important that babies and children with health problems have a place to go for the care and treatment they need. Run for Rainbow brings support to Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital so that it can continue to be there for the families who need it.

The event will start in front of Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital at 7 a.m. and end at 7 p.m. The 1.01-mile loop is around the UH Case Medical Center campus in University Circle and will consist of Adelbert Road, Euclid Avenue (sidewalk), Cornell Road and Circle Drive. The course is mostly flat, except for a few slight inclines, and is on concrete and/or pavement. The loop passes by the children's hospital--a nice reminder of the why behind the event.

I have been in contact with University Hospitals, University Circle and the City of Cleveland about the logistics and so far, so good.

The run will be a Rainbow Circle of Friends event. Circle of Friends is a program through which people in the community organize grassroots benefits for Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital. The Circle staff is excited about the run and is working with me to make it as successful as possible.

My goal is to raise a few thousands dollars for Rainbow this first year. To do that, I need more than just myself to participate in the run. My hope is that Southeast Running Club members, runners who have been touched by Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital, and others will come out and join me—whether for the full 12 hours, 6 hours or less. Runners, walkers, athletes in wheelchairs and volunteers are welcome.

The only requirement for participation is a donation to Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital through the Run for Rainbow. All you need to do is write a check to Rainbow (you determine the amount), put “Run for Rainbow” in the memo field and give your check to me before, during or after the event. One hundred percent of the dollars raised will go to Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital. All contributors will receive the appropriate tax documentation as Rainbow is a not-for-profit children's hospital.

Anyone who participates needs to supply their own aid. I am bringing my own aid and it will be available on the route. A bathroom/facility will also be available.

Fellow local ultrarunner Jim Herget is the first to commit to running the entire 12 hours with me. Our hope is that others will join in.

If you are interested in running in, walking in or volunteering for the 12-hour Run for Rainbow charity run, or if you'd like more information about the event, please e-mail me and/or visit the Run for Rainbow Yahoo! Groups page.

1 comment:

  1. Very good idea for a very cause. I will put this on my calendar and may join you for a couple hour run.

    ReplyDelete